This Is All Kinds Of Wrong of the Day: After years of partnering with Planned Parenthood to offer low-income patients access to life-saving breast cancer screenings, Susan G. Komen for the Cure — a breast-cancer charity that has been known to sue small charities for using “for the cure” in their names — announced yesterday it would no longer fund those screenings.
The alleged reason? A newly instituted rule at Komen “that prohibits grants to organizations being investigated by local, state or federal authorities.”
While a congressional investigation against Planned Parenthood was launched by Florida Republican Cliff Stearns — a staunchly pro-life politician who called defunding Planned Parenthood a “fiscal and moral priority” — many supporters of Komen are failing to see the connection between abortions and breast-cancer screenings.
However, things get considerably clearer once it becomes known that Komen recently appointed Karen Handel, an “anti-choice” Georgia Republican who promised to defund Planned Parenthood, to serve as its SVP.
Taking Komen’s excuse — which includes the line “we must continue to evolve to best meet the needs of the women we serve and most fully advance our mission” — on its face becomes problematic when considering that all of the money granted to Planned Parenthood by Komen was being used to provide screenings to uninsured or underinsured women.
For the record, “abortion services” make up 3% of total services provided by Planned Parenthood. Cancer screening and prevention? 16%.
How can Komen claim to be acting in the best interest of women when it is actively denying many of them access to life-saving breast-cancer screenings that can’t get anywhere else? That’s what many on Komen’s Facebook page and message board would like to know.
They have been leaving angry messages denouncing Komen’s action since the news broke. Many are putting their pocketbook where their fingers are and donating money to Planned Parenthood that would have gone to Komen.
Over the past 24 hours Planned Parenthood has raised “hundreds of thousands” of dollars, and may have already surpassed the amount it would have received from Komen.
See Also: Give Komen the Pink Slip: Five Ways to Support Women’s Health for All.
My roommate interns at Planned Parenthood and was telling me about the outpouring of support they’re getting from other patrons (on a small, donor-to-donor basis) just because Komen are being illogical assholes.
My response to this whole thing was to yell a lot and be really righteously indignant.
But yeah, planned Parenthood supporters are the best!
- sillylori reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- newtrancher reblogged this from fromonesurvivortoanother
- lindsaymackay reblogged this from thedailywhat
- nickel-colie reblogged this from etoile-et-toile
- ah-theisoscelestriangle reblogged this from thedailywhat
- lifes-an-experiment likes this
- newbornnebulae likes this
- francelkie reblogged this from suchaklutz
- barktherandom reblogged this from thedailywhat
- winnyee reblogged this from stephuchino
- winnyee likes this
- behindforever likes this
- twolittlefeet reblogged this from brandibee32
- baritonepats reblogged this from stephuchino
- stephuchino reblogged this from clurrforsure
- uhouse likes this
- suchaklutz reblogged this from thedailywhat
- awknerd- likes this
- nakedeye reblogged this from thedailywhat
- thecandimafiaboss reblogged this from saffronsugar
- darkandtwistyrandomness reblogged this from thedailywhat
- theseaward likes this
- solocaracol reblogged this from unnecessaryemotion
- strawberryyrenae likes this
- youmakemefat reblogged this from chinesenapaj
- afraidofheightsfilm likes this
- loves-anodyne reblogged this from theoppressedlittlefetus
- akindofpoetry reblogged this from tinaalsgirl
- kelthehuman reblogged this from thedailywhat
- renabeanzzz likes this
- cameheretodrinkmilkandkickass reblogged this from jagara
- yes-ikan reblogged this from thedailywhat
- lilitv likes this
- barbarians likes this
- infiniteinfaculties reblogged this from cheesequeeen
- headist likes this
- angrywatermelon reblogged this from takaminas
- biobeetleholmcross likes this
- shesaysnothing reblogged this from valjeanvaljean and added:
- ubikify likes this
- jdotcole reblogged this from thedailywhat
- theywontstfu reblogged this from thedailywhat
- witchd reblogged this from calibornsbottomboo
- bard-core reblogged this from calibornsbottomboo
- thedailywhat posted this